Matthew G. Finley has dedicated his career to representing children and adults initially as a prosecutor at the Portsmouth Commonwealth Attorney’s Office and then at the Hampton Commonwealth Attorney’s Office, where he prosecuted homicides, sexual assaults, domestic violence, and other crimes against persons. After leaving prosecution, Matthew began working on the civil side of the law, assisting personal injury clients and family law clients. Matthew also practices criminal defense given his experience.
Matthew loves stories, and every client that speaks to him has their own. Getting to know his clients and their history is of the utmost importance in ensuring a court or mediator understands the issues involved in a case. Every case involves a person’s life, whether it involve criminal charges, a child’s future, or financial well-being. Matthew strives to become a part of his client’s lives, so they can be sure someone is representing their interests.
- Felony Charges
- Protective Orders
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Personal Injury
- Bachelor of Arts from University of Kentucky, J.D. from the College of William and Mary
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Board Member for the Center for Sexual Assault Survivors, National Business Institute, American Association for Justice, Hampton Bar Association, Greater Peninsula Women’s Bar Association
- The Case for Checklists, National Business Institute Blog
- Storytelling for Lawyers, National Business Institute Blog
- The Corroborative Approach to Investigation, Young Trial Lawyers quarterly publication
- What is a Cause of Action, Young Trial Lawyers quarterly publication