There is nothing more terrifying than the split second before a truck accident occurs, when you can see that your vehicle is about to collide with a vehicle that weighs 20 times your own and yet can do nothing to stop it. When a truck accident occurs, the damages to the occupants of the smaller vehicle are often catastrophic. At the Law Office of Steven D. Barnette, P.C., our Virginia truck accident attorneys know that you may have questions about the claims process after a truck accident, and that you need someone on your side who will advocate for you. Please call us today for the help and support you need and deserve.
Injuries from a Truck Accident
A truck accident can result in serious–if not fatal–injuries. Serious injuries are likely because of the sheer size of large trucks, which weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Because force is a calculation of mass multiplied by speed, the heavier a truck is, the more force that’s involved in an accident. Common injuries in a truck accident include:
- Traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, can happen when the head is hit with force, the head is shaken or the brain is subjected to rotational forces, or the skull and brain are punctured with an object – all of which may be possible in a truck accident. TBIs can lead to permanent impairment.
- Spinal cord injuries. The spinal cord is responsible for your body’s movement and sensation and, if it is impaired, these abilities can be cut off. A spinal cord injury is likely to result in partial or complete paralysis from the site of injury downwards; spinal cord injuries are permanent.
- Amputation and crush injuries. Depending on the type of truck accident, a vehicle–and a person within it–may be crushed at some point. Limbs may be rendered unsavable, a truly devastating consequence of a crash like this.
- Bone fractures. One type of injury that likely will heal with time is that of a bone fracture. Bone fractures are painful and disabling, but likely can be fixed with modern medicine. However, a person may still suffer some level of impairment in the affected area even after the injury has healed.
- Internal injuries. Internal injuries occur when the body is hit with an object or punctured by an external or internal object, such as a rib. Internal bleeding can be deadly, and must be treated immediately.
- More. In addition to the above, scarring, burn injuries, lacerations, soft tissue injuries, facial injuries, psychological injuries, and more are all possible, too.
Causes of Truck Accidents
When a serious truck accident occurs and a victim is left with injuries like those listed, it’s very important to determine the cause of the truck accident and liability so that a claim can be filed against the liable party and a victim can be compensated. Some of the common causes of truck accidents include:
- Truck driver errors, such as driving while distracted or intoxicated, driving too fast for conditions, performing unsafe or illegal maneuvers, etc.
- Trucking company errors, such as failing to maintain trucks or properly train drivers
- Truck part defects, such as defective tires or brakes
- Cargo errors, such as cargo that shifts in transit leading to a crash; and
- Third-party errors, such as the negligent actions of another driver, road defects, signage defects, etc.
The Role of a Truck Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you need a truck accident lawyer. The role of an attorney is to get you the settlement you deserve. To do this, our law firm will:
- Investigate your case and hire any necessary experts, such as accident reconstruction experts, along the way;
- Gather and request evidence, and will send spoliation of evidence letters to ensure evidence isn’t destroyed;
- Calculate the value of your claim;
- Handle all claim documents and prove fault and liability;
- Review a settlement offer;
- Negotiate your settlement offer; and
- File a lawsuit and litigate your case.
Call the Law Office of Steven D. Barnette, P.C. Today
Our lawyers understand the fear and grief that you’re experiencing after being involved in a serious truck accident. When you need an advocate on your side who will aggressively represent you and make sure that you’re not cheated by insurance adjusters and that you get the settlement you deserve, you can count on our law firm For your free, no-obligation consultation, call the Law Office of Steven D. Barnette, P.C. today. Our Virginia truck accident attorneys are here for you.